I am starting a fitness challenge in January with one of my favorite fitness professional’s, Pauline Nordin. “De-Fat America” is made for people with 40, 50 or more pounds to lose. Sadly, that is me. In a perfect world, one without injuries, illness and perimenopause , I would like to drop 100 lbs. But I will take anything I can get. Pauline’s plan is geared towards people who are not as comfortable in the weight room … that is not me. However, with the excess weight and the extreme joint issues I have been facing, it seems the smarter “first move”. Ay-yi-yi-yi.
In the starter checklist, she recommends keeping a journal and beginning the journey with a “20 Reasons Why and 10 Reasons Why Not” list. Luckily I already have a “journal” here, so I figured that I would just start things off with my list. I’ve not put a lot of thought into this part of the process so the following is literally a brain drop and may be subject to some revision before I kick the challenge off in January.
20 Reasons WHY
- Feel better in my skin.
- Be healthier
- Ease my joint pain
- Be more confident
- Feel sexy again
- Fit into more of the clothes in my closet
- Be able to play sports again.
- Be more comfortable in airplane seats
- Have a LOT more energy
- Be an example to my son about never quitting or giving up.
- Hopefully find some relief to my intestinal issues.
- Become stronger.
- Improve my kettlebell performance.
- Look good for the next trip to Ireland!
- Be closer to the goal of running a Muddy Buddy 10k.
- Not be the fattest person in my group of friends. (Sad but true.)
- I know so much about fitness and healthy living, I want to LOOK like I know what I am talking about.
- Look “OK” in a bathing suit this summer.
- Not huff like a steam engine when I climb stairs.
- Be happy with myself again.
10 Reasons Why NOT ….
- I am always injured.
- I won’t be able to drink alcohol.
- Have to carry food with me everywhere I go.
- Have to be much more prepared; no more flying by the seat of my pants days.
- I have to post progress pictures in a 2 piece. A friggin’ fat girl’s BIKINI!!!! .
- Workouts will take a couple hours a day EVERY day.
- I am not nearly as much fun to be around in the beginning of a new lifestyle change.
- Having to cook separate meals for the rest of my family, who don’t need to eat like me.
- Less freedom.
- Ugggghhhhh … it’s FOREVER!
So, there it is … for now. Surprisingly, it was hard to come up with 20 reason’s why. I just wanted to say “Be skinny” over and over … but it forced me to dig deeper. yes, I want to be skinnier … but it’s a lot more than just that. I want my health back. My confidence, my ME back. I am tired of being this person, wrapped in a cocoon of fat. It’s not ME.
The thing that I am most scared about tho is posting those bikini pics. I realize I am not alone. I am among friends, other women in the same place, comrades fighting side by side in the same war. Ugh … but pictures?! Yuck. Still, I will probably post them in this blog at some point … when I have some comparison “after’s” to offer as well. Humiliating, but necessary to see results. I guess.
Now to get some oatmeal before heading off to the gym. The challenge might not kick off until January, but 100 lbs will require a LOT of work and I might as well get serious now.